有人问我在“ I really wish I could be a glass-half-full kind of person like you.”这句话里，“a glass-half-full kind of person”是什么样的人？做出回答之前，先得弄明白“Is the glass half empty or half full?”是什么意思。
1. Is the glass half empty or half full? This is an age-old question. This common expression is generally used rhetorically to indicate that a particular situation could be a cause for optimism (half full) or pessimism (half empty). The situation may be seen in different ways depending on one’s point of view. That is to say, the situation can be viewed positively or negatively.
2. This question can be used as a general litmus test to simply determine an individual’s worldview. Some of the people around us see the glass as half-full, while the others see it as half-empty. For optimists the glass is always half full, while for pessimists it is always half empty. My father taught me to always look at the glass half-full rather than half-empty.
综上所述，我们可以理解 a glass-half-full kind of person 为“乐天派”，而a glass-half-empty kind of person 为“悲观派”。例如：
3. Perception is unique to every individual and is simply one’s interpretation of reality. From a philosophical point of view, this question is used to explain how people perceive events and objects. In this situation, some people may find opportunities while others may see troubles. Whether the glass is half full or half empty depends on whether you’re pouring out or in. If you are a glass-half-full kind of person, you will always see challenges as opportunities.
4. As one can choose to view things as good or bad, the answer to this question can show a person’s attitude towards life. If you say the glass is half full, you may have a positive outlook on life. You are probably often cheerful and happy. However, if you say the glass is half empty, you may have a negative outlook on life. You are likely to be often depressed.
5. But there are some people who hold different views about this matter. They take the question just as a joke, thinking the two answers are the two sides of the same coin. It will remind us of such a question as “Are zebras white with black stripes or black with white stripes?”
6. Furthermore, there are also people who think that this question has nothing to do with the debate between optimism and pessimism. We must change the way we look at and think about things. Someone suggests that we may imagine there is a pitcher of water sitting next to the glass under discussion. We can actually fill up the glass and will care less about whether it’s half full or half empty.
7. 俗话说：“满瓶水不响，半瓶水晃荡。”As a common saying goes, a full bottle of water doesn’t make sound, while a half bottle of water sloshes.
8. Empty vessels make the greatest sound.
Those who work with high efficiency may achieve doubled results with half efforts while those who work with low efficiency often achieve half the expected result with doubled efforts.
10. A good beginning is half done./ Well begun, half done.
11. A good beginning is half the battle.
12. A bold attempt is half success.
13. A fault confessed is half redressed.
14. First impressions are half the battle.
15. He who wills success is half way to it.
16. Half an egg is better than an empty shell./Better half an egg than empty shell.
17. Half a loaf is better than no bread./Half a loaf is better than none.
18. She gave half of the apple to her husband and kept the other half for herself.
19. The other half of his heart and soul is filled with responsibility and obligation.
other half的第二个意思是one’s spouse, partner, boyfriend or girlfriend，即“配偶、情侣或男/女朋友”。例如：
20. I hope you are the other half of my life.
21. The young man said to his girlfriend,“You are the other half of me.”
22. My other half and I are going to America to visit some friends for a couple of weeks.
23. I’m going out for a meal with one of my friends and his other half.
24. Half of us wanted to go on working, but the other half said “No!”